A record $16.6 billion
The 2017-18 Queensland Budget provides a record $16.6 billion as well as a $916.1 million capital program to deliver first rate health services by a highly skilled workforce. All Queenslanders deserve safe, accessible and timely access to health services that are responsive to their needs, and focus on preventative care and health promotion alongside acute hospital-based services. The Palaszczuk Government is employing more doctors, nurses and ambulance operatives on the front line to take care of you and your family.
Since March 2015 we have employed an additional:
allied health professionals
The Government continues to invest in and plan for world-class health and hospital facilities to support contemporary care standards and meet growing demand through:
- $208M to upgrade health facilities and supporting infrastructure in rural and regional Queensland
- $200M to enhance public hospital capacity and services in South East Queensland, including:
- $131.8 million for detailed planning and preparatory works for proposed redevelopments at Logan, Caboolture and Ipswich hospitals and
- $68.9 million for a new adolescent mental health facility at The Prince Charles Hospital and associated support services in Brisbane, Logan and the Gold Coast.
The Government is also focused on delivering other health-related commitments including:
$126.5 million in 2017-18 to continue initiatives across Queensland to reduce specialist outpatient long waits
an additional 3,300 nursing and midwifery graduates, 16 nurse educators, and 121 nurse navigators have commenced across Queensland over the last two years
delivering mental health, alcohol and other drug services and supporting infrastructure as part of the Connecting Care to Recovery 2016-2021 plan.
Sunshine Coast University Hospital
Opened in March 2017, this state-of-the-art hospital:
- cost $1.8 billion
- employs approximately 3,000 staff
- provides 450 beds.
New tertiary services will be developed and capacity expanded to meet demand, with all 738 beds expected to be available by July 2021.